Returning Resident Visas

Returning Resident Visas

If you are a permanent resident or conditional resident that has remained outside of the United States for longer than a year (or beyond the period that your Re-Entry permit is valid for), you will need to have a new immigrant visa issued that allows you to enter the U.S. and resume your residence.

If you need help securing your returning resident visa, book a virtual consultation with Martinez Immigration today.

What Is a Returning Resident Visa?

A Returning Resident (SB-1) immigrant visa is designed specifically for lawful permanent residents and conditional residents who will need to have their entry into the United States re-approved after being out of the country for a period of more than one year. This visa eliminates the need for a petition for a new immigrant visa with the Department of Homeland Security.

Returning Resident Application Process

In order to obtain an SB-1 visa, the lawful permanent resident will have to apply at their closest consulate or embassy. They’ll need to complete Form DS-117, the Application to Determine Returning Resident Status, and present their Permanent Resident Card (form I-1551) and Re-Entry permit, if available.

They’ll also need to have to have supporting documents that show the following:

  • Dates of travel outside of the United States
  • Proof of your ties to the United States and your intent to return
  • Proof that your protracted stay outside of the United States was for reasons beyond your control

This can be a complex and difficult process, and the requirements can change with little notice. Book a virtual consultation with Martinez Immigration to have the best possible chance at obtaining your SB-1 Visa.

We got you covered!

No Matter What your immigration needs or questions are…

We take great pride in providing immigration services to our clients. Our mission to reunite families drives us to succeed.

Scroll to Top