Fiancé Visa Immigration Lawyer   

Adjustment of Status

U.S. citizens can sponsor someone in a foreign country they plan to marry for a K-1, or fiancé visa. This non-immigrant visa is temporary and only allows the fiancé to stay in the U.S. for 90 days. If the couple does not marry during that time, the foreign fiancé must leave the country. A fiancé visa immigration lawyer helps couples navigate the K-1 visa process so they can start building a life together in the U.S. Book a virtual consultation with Martinez Immigration to learn more.     

Book a consultation with a family-based immigration lawyer today. 

Role of K-1 Visa Lawyer

If you fall in love and get engaged with someone who lives outside the U.S., there is a process you must complete to legally obtain a green card for your fiancé. The K-1 fiancé visa is the most efficient way to do that.  

A K-1 visa lawyer understands U.S. immigration laws and policies and helps to position your foreign spouse for approval. They review your case to determine if you meet all eligibility requirements for the K-1.  

If so, they carefully prepare and submit your visa petition with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). It’s essential to have the right legal guidance because errors in your application can lead to delays or denials, adding stress to the challenge of living apart from your partner.  

If your fiancé is approved and you marry within 90 days, your foreign spouse can apply for adjustment of status to become a lawful permanent resident (LPR) with USCIS and the Department of Homeland Security.  

K-1 Visa Application Process

Among the services offered by a family-based immigration lawyer are consultations and case evaluations. After reviewing your case, we can determine the best path for your relative to proceed based on their individual situation. For instance, if your relative overstayed their legal entry or is in the nation illegally, they must likely return to their home country to begin the immigration process. 

From there the DOS National Visa Center forwards the approved I-129F form to the U.S. embassy or consulate where your fiancé will apply for the K-1 non-immigrant visa. The U.S. embassy or consulate notifies you once they schedule an interview for your fiancé. Your fiancé attends their interview and waits for a decision.   

Learn how a family-based immigration attorney can help your case today. 

At the interview the following forms and documents are required: 

  • Form DS-160 Online Non-Immigrant Visa Application 
  • Passport to the U.S. valid at least six months beyond the intended stay period 
  • Medical exam 
  • Proof of financial support 
  • Two 2×2 photographs 
  • Proof of relationship to future spouse 
  • Fees  


Your immigration lawyer will review these documents and let you know if any other supporting information is needed.  

During this waiting period, there may be background and security checks for you and your fiancé. Government agencies use names, fingerprints, and other biometrics to look up criminal history and other information about both partners. If the K-1 visa is approved and your fiancé is admitted into the U.S. as a K-1 non-immigrant, you have 90 days to get married.  

Adjusting Status and Marriage

Once married, your spouse can transition from a K-1 visa to a green card. The process to do so involves a rather lengthy packet of forms and supporting documents including:  

  • Birth certificate 
  • U.S. government-issued identification 
  • Copy of Form I-129F approval  
  • Form I-485 Application to Adjust Status  
  • Form I-693 Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record 
  • Form I-864 Affidavit of Support  
  • Evidence of marriage within the 90-day period  
  • Fees  

Book a consultation with a family-based immigration lawyer today. 

Additional documents may be required if your new spouse wants to work or travel in the U.S. before obtaining permanent residency. Once the application is submitted, an interview and Green Card Biometrics appointment are scheduled. If all goes smoothly, a conditional green card is issued.  

Complete Form I-171 ASAP

Within 90 days of the expiration date of the conditional green card, your spouse must complete Form I-171 Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence. If approved, a permanent resident card is issued. This lasts 10 years.  

Learn how a family-based immigration lawyer can help your case today.

Avoid Possible K-1 Delays with the Assistance of a Proven Immigration Lawyer

Martinez Immigration has helped to reunite countless couples through the K-1 visa process. Let our experienced fiancé immigration lawyer take the guesswork out of applying for a green card for you or someone you love. Based in Texas, Kathleen Martinez and her team of skilled legal staff help clients across the U.S. Book a virtual consultation today 

We got you covered!

No Matter What your immigration needs or questions are…

We take great pride in providing immigration services to our clients. Our mission to reunite families drives us to succeed.

Scroll to Top