How to Get a Green Card Faster Than 90 Days 

While it generally takes about two years to obtain a green card, in some cases, it is possible to obtain permanent residency status in less than 90 days. It depends on your individual status. In specific emergencies, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) may expedite green card applications. However, obtaining a green card within three months may be unrealistic for most applicants.  

Trust an immigration attorney at Martinez Immigration. They are available to assist you with all green card issues, including the formal request necessary for expedited processing. We take great pride in providing the very best legal representation. Schedule a virtual consultation today.  

Types of Status That Expedites the Green Card Process 

Remember that even though the green card process is expedited, critical documents and forms still need to be filled out. Background checks and interviews also take time.  

Statuses that may expedite the green card process include the following: 

Child or Spouse of a U.S. Citizen 

If you are the spouse or child of a U.S. citizen and are already in the U.S., you are among the most likely candidates to receive a green card within 90 days of submitting your application and paying all fees. Expect the process to take longer if you are not in the U.S.   

Employment-Based Immigration 

Certain employment-based immigration petitions may have the processing time reduced to just 15 days if the employer pays the USCIS a premium processing fee. While that does not mean you receive your green card within that time frame, it guarantees a fast decision or the premium processing fee is refunded.  

As per the USCIS, premium expedited processing is available for the following forms: 

  • Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker 
  • Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker 
  • Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization 
  • Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status. 

Emergency Situations 

As noted, emergencies may qualify for a green card application expedition by the USCIS. Such situations may include the following: 

  • Severe financial loss to company or person 
  • Urgent humanitarian reasons  
  • The interest of the U.S. government 

Other types of emergencies may also prove eligible and require compelling evidence. Your immigration lawyer can determine whether your specific situation meets USCIS criteria.  

Military Service 

Qualified foreigners joining the U.S. military and their families receive expedited green cards after going through military processing. Eligible service members can file for naturalization after just one day of honorable service.  


Those who entered the U.S. before January 1, 1972, and with no record of lawful admission may qualify for a green card via registry if they have lived here continuously since then and are of good moral character.  

Contact Martinez Immigration  

Contact an adjustment of status attorney at Martinez Immigration to determine if your immigration status permits an expedited green card. While obtaining a green card within 90 days is challenging, we can help you navigate the immigration process and work to reduce your waiting time. 

We got you covered!

No Matter What your immigration needs or questions are…

We take great pride in providing immigration services to our clients. Our mission to reunite families drives us to succeed.

Scroll to Top