Change of Status Lawyer

Martinez Immigration helps immigrants to accurately and successfully file change of status applications. When you retain the services of a change of status lawyer from our firm, you will substantially increase the likelihood of approval and acceptance of your application and your new immigration status.

If you enter the United States with one type of Visa but your reasons for being in the U.S. change, you will then need to change or extend your immigration status with the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS). If you do not satisfy the requirements for changing your immigrant status, or you file your change of status application incorrectly, you might forfeit your right to remain in the U.S.

What Are Some Reasons to Change an Immigration Status?

Whether planned or otherwise, your immigrant status might change, for example, due to:

  • An offer of employment
  • A business or investment startup
  • Acceptance at a university or other educational institution
  • Change of marital status
  • New circumstances in a home country might present dangers if you were to return

Book a consultation with our change of status lawyer today!​

If you are not sure if new circumstances require you to file a change of status application, contact an experienced immigration attorney for recommendations on how you should proceed. 

What Steps Do You Need to Take to Change Your Nonimmigration Status?

Before you take any change of status action, your lawyer will verify:

  • If you are in the U.S. lawfully, for example, under a visitor or other valid nonimmigrant visa
  • If that visa is currently valid or whether you have remained in the U.S. past its expiration
  • If any conditions were placed on your entry visa, and whether you have violated any of those conditions
  • If your criminal record is clear and whether you have had any interactions with law enforcement authorities that might preclude acceptance of a change of status application

If you satisfy these prerequisites, your immigration lawyer will then assist you to complete and file Form I-539 for your change of status.

Can You Expand or Change Your Status From a Visitor Visa to Permanent Resident or Green Card Holder?

A nonimmigrant who desires to apply for a Green Card to become a permanent US resident must file a Form I-485 to adjust his or her status. The prerequisites for a Green Card application are more demanding than for a change of status, and applications will be approved only if the nonimmigrant meets all of those prerequisites and his or her application is properly completed.

Discover how our green card attorney can help you with your case today.

Contact us today to speak with a change of status lawyer.

How Can an Immigration Attorney Help With a Change of Status?

Satisfying all prerequisites and properly completing an application for a change or adjustment of your nonimmigrant status is a demanding process. An immigration lawyer is the best advocate for non-U.S. citizens who are not familiar with USCIS procedures. Your lawyer can verify that applications are completed without errors or omissions, and follow the application through the USCIS review processes to make sure that it is given fair and equitable consideration.

What Questions Should You Ask Your Change of Status Lawyer?

  • How many change or adjustment of status applications has the lawyer filed?
  • What is the lawyer’s success rate for filing change of status applications?
  • If you do not meet the prerequisites for a change of status, what options do you have to remain in the U.S.?
  • How frequently will the lawyer update you on the status of your case?
  • Is the lawyer fluent in your native language, or does the lawyer have qualified translators who can communicate with you in that language?
  • What fees does the lawyer charge for different services, and what total fees should you expect to pay?

Book a virtual consultation with an immigration expert today!

See How Martinez Immigration Can Help

When you need the services of an immigration attorney to help with a change of status, book a virtual consultation with Martinez Immigration today. We represent clients throughout the United States from our principal offices in Texas. If you qualify for a change of status, we will promptly file and aggressively pursue your application through the USCIS processes and procedures.

We got you covered!

We take great pride in providing immigration services to our clients. Our mission to reunite families drives us to succeed.

Scroll to Top